Friday, July 22, 2011

Smarter Chicken Alfredo & Peas

I actually didn't even plan on making this recipe. Sometimes things are just meant to be. I went to make Simple & Creamy Chicken Tortilla Casserole and realized I was out of sour cream. Don't you just hate when that happens? I already had the chicken cubed and cooking so my brain started thinking. I had pulled this recipe out of the recipe box a few weeks ago because I've had a few requests for healthy recipes so this is what we had for supper! I know I don't do many healthy recipes, but when I make recipes I try to use light or fat free ingredients as much as possible. Although I'll warn you fat-free cheese just doesn't melt right! I believe that you can eat everything in moderation and this is what I go by. I don't deprive myself of things I enjoy, but I try to limit things I shouldn't have. And no this does not always work (like the three or maybe even four cookies I ate last night...recipe coming soon!). I wasl definitely at the gym this morning at 5:45 am. I was not blessed with good genes where I can eat anything I want unfortunately. Dang you Dad for not passing that gene down! Seriously. The man upsets me. He stills weighs what he did when he graduated high school. He told me his belly is a bit larger now though. He called it "settling". Gotta love his honesty at least. I took a "healthified" Alfredo sauce recipe and then added the chicken and peas to it. I personally like a little substance in my pasta so I added the chicken. You can leave this out if you would like. As for the peas they were added because my hubby won't eat broccoli. I would have added broccoli otherwise but this was the only way to sneak in some veggies. Once again feel free to substitute broccoli for the peas. So here is my healthified Alfredo recipe. Enjoy!



Smarter Chicken Alfredo & Peas
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients
8 oz fettuccine, uncooked
1 1/4 c. fat free chicken broth
4 tsp flour
4 oz fat free cream cheese
1/8 tsp nutmeg
3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, divided
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 c. peas, cooked
1 lb chicken breasts, cubed and cooked

1. Cook pasta as direct on package. Cook peas as directed on package. Cubed and cook chicken in skillet over medium heat.

2. Combine broth and flour in a saucepan. Stir in cream cheese; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly until mixtures boils and thickens. Stir in chicken and peas. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese and the parsley.

3. Toss pasta with sauce, 2 Tbsp of Parmesan cheese and nutmeg.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At July 22, 2011 at 6:21 AM , Anonymous Blog is the New Black said...

This looks wonderful! I found your blog because I saw you added me to your blogroll. I am so flattered! Thanks so much. :)

 
At July 22, 2011 at 5:38 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This looks great!!! I will definitely make this soon. :)

 
At July 24, 2011 at 6:24 PM , Blogger The Better Baker said...

I love this combo of deliciousness. I'm with you...I don't care for ff cheese either...I use lots of lowfat/sugar free ingredients, but that's one I stay away from. So glad you shared...I will definitely be trying this soon.

 
At July 25, 2011 at 8:02 AM , Blogger Rebecca @ A Dash of Thyme said...

Yay! I can now comment! It was probably all me!! :)
Any who, this recipe look great!!

 
At December 7, 2011 at 2:07 AM , Blogger jiaxin said...

I am so hungry after seeing this delicious food. I will try to cook it by myself!

junior bridesmaid dresses

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home