Friday, March 23, 2012

Twice Baked Potato Casserole

I LOVE twice baked potatoes so when I saw this recipe I knew it was right up my alley of course. Plus with this dish I can make it ahead of time and pop it in the oven when I need it.

I was craving Sweet 'N' Sour Meatballs and thought this recipe would be the perfect accompaniment. I knew I wouldn't have enough time to make this meal plus get to volleyball so I made both recipes and stuck them in the fridge for the next night. Then I got to looking and realized and I now had 3 lbs of meatballs and 5 lbs of potatoes. My hubby is hearty eater but not quite that hearty!

Time to call in reinforcements. After a quick text to my 'lil bro and 'lil bro in law I had rounded up my victims for supper. They raved about it. I must say I think I might call them again for when I need a confidence boost! Bro in law even said the text message was the highlight of his day and he hadn't ate this good of a supper for over a month. He possibly could have been sucking up but I think he was just being honest!

If you are in charge of the potatoes for your Easter get together these would be perfect!


Twice Baked Potatoes
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients
5 lb russet potatoes
Real Bacon Bits (3 oz)
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 c. butter
1 c. sour cream
2 1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper


1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch chunks. Place in a large pot and add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cook until tender and easily pierced with a paring knife, about 20 minutes. Drain and put in a LARGE bowl.

2. Using a mixer beat potatoes until light and fluffy. Add cream cheese, butter, sour cream and stir until combined and smooth. Add cheddar cheese, half the bacon bits, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.

3. Transfer to a butter 3 qt baking dish. Top with remaining 1/2 c. of cheddar cheese and bacon bits. Bake for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are heated through and the top is slightly golden brown.

*I made these the night before by stopping after I put them in the baking dish. The next day I just pulled them out and topped with the cheese and bacon bits. I cooked them for 45 minutes since they were cold to start.

Recipe Adapted From: Six Sisters' Stuff

Shared on the following sites - Please give them a visit! 

Labels:

9 Comments:

At March 24, 2012 at 4:48 PM , Anonymous Sarah @ Homestyle Cooking Around The World said...

This looks very yummy- I have a recipe given to me years ago from a Mennonite woman that is very similar and so good! I love the way you put bacon bits and cheese on it.

 
At March 25, 2012 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Krista said...

Oh yum! I think these would be so good w/ a grilled steak! Thanks so much for linking up at Church Supper. Have a blessed week & hope to see you again soon. ~EMM

 
At March 25, 2012 at 10:13 PM , Blogger Addicted to Recipes said...

These look so very good! Would love for you to link up at http://iamaddictedtorecipes.blogspot.ca/p/link-party.html
Have a great night!

 
At March 26, 2012 at 2:36 PM , Blogger Dana said...

You had me at potato, then added made them even better! I'll have to remember this. Thanks

 
At March 26, 2012 at 3:08 PM , Blogger Simply Tasheena said...

Yummy! I would love for you to link up at my Linky Party via: ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Mrs. Delightful
www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

 
At March 27, 2012 at 9:32 AM , Blogger Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

I love twice baked potatoes too and can't wait to make this! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

 
At March 29, 2012 at 6:40 AM , Blogger Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

It's me again Julie :) I made these today and have them in the slow cooker for dinner tonight. I took a taste and they are delicious! I'll be using this recipe quite often!

 
At March 29, 2012 at 10:15 PM , Blogger Addicted to Recipes said...

I am going to have to try your recipe. This looks yummy! Thanks for sharing at Scrumptious Sunday!

 
At March 30, 2012 at 6:50 AM , Blogger Mickeedee said...

YUM!!! I do this ALL THE TIME with left over mashed potatoes. I usually make too many so I can have a quick side dish for another night. I just throw in all of the same ingredients, toss 'em into a pie plate and reheat in the oven. My son has come to expect them every time we have "PLAIN" mashed potatoes! Thanks for sharing - and glad I found you from Flour Me with Love.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home