Friday, October 7, 2011

Apple Bars with Caramel Frosting

I have a ton of apples thanks to my wonderful Mommy. I mean two entire crisper full of apples in my fridge. This is your warning that you should ware of numerous apple recipes coming your way. I'm hoping you aren't disappointed in this little tidbit I just shared with you. If you are I might have to break up with you. I'm sorry. This relationship just isn't working for me.

I was having my annual Fall/Winter Scentsy open house this week and I of course needed to make some treats for this. I feel a bit of pressure when people come over to provide great food due to this blog. One of the hazards associated with this. Then I feel the need to bake and create which usually ends up in way to much food. My hips do not like this as much as my tummy does like this. Then I bring it work and try to feed my fellow employees. They like this much better than my hips do!

I scoured Pinterest for an apple recipe to make for this event and I found great ones but none I fell in love with. I think went the old fashioned way and grabbed a church cookbook out of my cupboard. That's when I found this recipe and decided to go with it. I'm not a big crust maker but this one is forgiving just smash it into the pan and it will be fine! The original recipe called for a powdered sugar icing but I mixed things up and want for a caramel cream cheese frosting. I mean caramel and apples go together like salt and pepper right? They do in my book!



Apple Bars with Caramel Frosting
Printer Friendly Recipe
Ingredients
5 c. apples, peeled & sliced
1 c. sugar
3 c. flour
1 tsp salt
1 c. butter
1 Tbsp sugar
1 egg
3/4 c. Rice Krispies, crushed
Caramel Frosting
4 oz. cream cheese
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
3 tbsp. caramel sauce
1 tbsp. milk
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar

1. Mix apples and 1 c. sugar together and set aside. Mix flour, salt, 1 Tbsp sugar and melted butter. Put egg yolk (set the egg white aside for later) in 1 c. measuring cup. Add milk to 2/3 line. Mix all these ingredients.

2. Take half of dough and roll out to fit a jelly roll pan. Put dough in the bottom of the jelly roll pan. Sprinkle crushed cereal over the dough. Top with apple mixture.

3. Roll out remainder of dough. Place on top of apple filling. Beat the egg white and brush over the top. Sprinkle a little sugar over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
3. While bars are cooling combine the cream cheese and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 15-20 second intervals until you can whisk the mixture together. Whisk in caramel sauce, milk and vanilla until smooth. Whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth. Drizzle over bars.


Shared on the following sites - Please give them a visit!


Labels:

2 Comments:

At October 7, 2011 at 7:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At October 7, 2011 at 8:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These bars look amazing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home