Monday, September 26, 2011

Speedy Cinnamon Rolls with Caramel Frosting

It's time for another Secret Recipe Club reveal today! If you aren't familar with the club I'll fill you in. We get assigned someone else's blog and we have to go to that blog and pick a recipe and try it. Then we write up a blog post on their recipe and reveal them on the same day. It's pretty fun and it's always exciting to try a new recipe and see who has your blog!

This month I was assigned A Tale of One Foodie's Culinary Adventures. I of course went and checked out the recipes right away and had to look at every single recipe on the blog to make sure I picked the right one. When I saw the recipe for Speedy Cinnamon Rolls I knew I just had to try it. You see I love cinnamon rolls but I'm not a big fan of all the work that goes along with making them. In fact, I've never made them because it scares me. When I saw this recipe and how it didn't even call for yeast I knew I had to try it. We weren't dissapointed at all. They were super simple and very yummy.

I adapted the recipe a bit and threw some apples in because it's fall and I was in the mood for some "fall" cinnamon rolls. They were awesome with apples in them. The rolls also didn't have any frosting on them and well I'm a frosting kind of girl and had to put some on my cinnamon rolls so I made a cream cheese frosting and added some caramel into it. Yummy! So if you are looking for a quick and easy cinnamon roll recipe here it is. Feel free to adapt it how you like!



Speedy Cinnamon Rolls
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients
3 1/4 c all purpose flour
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. buttermilk (I used a cup of vanilla yogurt)
1/2 c. whipping cream (I used milk)
1/3 c. butter, melted and cooled slightly
1/4 c. butter, softened
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 apple, peeled and chopped

Caramel Frosting
4 oz. cream cheese
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
3 tbsp. caramel sauce
1 tbsp. milk
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. In a mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl whisk the buttermilk, cream and melted butter. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Don't worry if it doesn't look like it's going to come together. Use your hands to kneed the dough until it comes together. If it seems a little sticky add some flour.

3. Roll out the dough on a floured surface using  rolling pin. You want the dough to be about 18 x 10 inches. Spread the dough with softened butter. Combine the brown sugar, sugar and cinnamon. Spread over dough evenly. If you want to add the apples add them now.





4. Starting with the long end roll the dough as tightly as you can. It's a little tricky if you have the apples in the there. Pinch the seam to seal and place the roll, seam-side down, on the counter. Cut the dough into 12 pieces using a sharp knife.

5. Pick up the slices and place in a greased muffin pan.



6. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

7. While the rolls are baking make your frosting. Combine the cream cheese and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 15-20 second intervals until you can whisk the mixture together. Whisk in caramel sauce, milk and vanilla until smooth. Whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth. Drizzle over rolls.


Shared on the following sites - Please give them a visit!

Labels:

19 Comments:

At September 26, 2011 at 8:37 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you enjoyed the cinnamon rolls! They are so easy and I love that you can whip them up on a whim. :)

 
At September 26, 2011 at 8:43 AM , Blogger Melissa said...

Delicious! This would be perfect for when cinnamon roll cravings strike and I don't have time for a regular batch!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 8:56 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yummm...my grandmother always made these too. We call them rolly pollies :)

 
At September 26, 2011 at 9:43 AM , Blogger Desi said...

Those are so cute! And I love that the frosting is caramel! Loving your site... I am your newest follower :)

http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/

 
At September 26, 2011 at 10:43 AM , Blogger Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

These look amazing...now I want one!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 1:19 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Speedy + cinnamon rolls? Yes, please! They look great!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 1:38 PM , Anonymous Lauren at Keep It Sweet said...

Those look amazing, what a great idea to add apple. Terrific SRC choice!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 6:10 PM , Blogger Eliotseats said...

I love the muffin idea. My hubby LOVES cinnamon rolls and I have yet to "make them like grandma did." I will give this a try! Great SRC post.

 
At September 26, 2011 at 9:23 PM , Blogger Trisha said...

This I have to try. I love the fact that they are speedy!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 10:32 PM , Anonymous marla {family fresh cooking} said...

Love that you added the apples to this recipe. Awesome to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you. Here is my post from group C - http://su.pr/2rtACr

 
At September 27, 2011 at 6:00 AM , Anonymous Georgie said...

WOW! Decadent! Lovely! I'm making these very very soon. Nice meeting you hereon SRC and I look forward to sharing recipes.

 
At September 27, 2011 at 8:41 AM , Blogger Angie - Big Bears Wife said...

look at how awesome those are!!

Glad to be in Group C with you

 
At September 27, 2011 at 9:15 AM , Blogger Rhonda said...

As the, um, non-baker type person that I am, I love to see easy baked goods. My previous idea of quick home made cinnamon rolls was opening a can of Pillsbury crescent rolls and loading the up and baking them. I see a new option for me, yeah!

 
At September 27, 2011 at 9:20 AM , Blogger Gloria Baker said...

Those are amazing I love them!!!! gloria

 
At September 27, 2011 at 4:09 PM , Blogger 365daysofbaking said...

Julie, these look so delicious! I adore cinnamon rolls, but not the time it takes to make them. I'll have to give this a try!

 
At September 28, 2011 at 5:11 AM , Anonymous Monica @ TheYummyLife said...

Love this recipe. SO EASY! The muffin tins are a great way to bake these.

 
At September 28, 2011 at 8:10 PM , Blogger DANIELLE said...

CARAMEL FROSTING? OH MY YUM!

 
At October 1, 2011 at 11:54 AM , Blogger Myvegfare said...

That's so cute, with caramel frosting!, they look delicous and beautiful, they look amazing... Its a fun to be with you in SRC

 
At November 17, 2011 at 6:15 PM , Blogger Amber, RD said...

I made a modified version of these the other day. I added chopped pecans and made maple frosting instead of caramel.
If you want to check it out, here's the link: http://thefoodierd.blogspot.com/2011/11/easy-apple-pecan-cinnamon-rolls-with.html.
They were so yummy and easy to make!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home