Monday, September 19, 2011

Cabbage Casserole

I talk about my mom a lot don't I? Well sorry I'm going to do it again in this post. No, I'm not sorry because a fab mother. Honestly. My friends used to call her mom. I mean how many mom's would make you chocolate chip cookies at 10:00 on a Friday night because your friends were hanging out downstairs and we just wanted some? Not many. But my mom would. No wonder why they liked to come out to my house even though we lived in kinda the middle of no where. Dang and I thought they liked me! Well I guess I gotta work with what I got and if it's mom's cooking/baking I got then I'll work with it.

Mom's my best friend. Kinda corny huh? She is and I'm not going to lie. Maybe it's because she's my mom and she has to love me even though sometimes I kinds snitty when I get stressed. A horrible and awful trait of mine. Ask my hubby. Ask my mom. Wait ask my little brother. Now he taught my hubby how to handle these moments. It goes something like this, "Julie need a hug? Julie need a hug?" (Julie running away and little bro chasing, catching and Julie fighting it) "Awwww Julie needed a hug!" Now my hubby does it minus the chasing usually I know by now just to give in. And it works. Gotta love my family.

Wait (easily distracted) ok back to mom and her cooking/baking. This recipe was actually passed down from my great aunt Nettie. Now she was a cooker/baker and gardener. Mom missed out on the gardener trait. But I still love her just as much don't worry. I always loved this recipe and I was surprised the first time she made it because it was cabbage. Ah the horror when I was growing up and mom made cabbage. And I liked it. Wait that shouldn't be possible but it was. Now I know why I liked it. Cream. It makes anything edible more than likely. So even if this has cabbage in it I think the cream might just cross out the healthy factor. It's awesome so if you are wondering what to do with that cabbage because you were blessed with the gardener gene here you go. If you weren't blessed I highly recommend a trip to the farmer's market or grocery store so you can enjoy this!


Cabbage Casserole
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients
1/2 - 1 head cabbage, chopped
1 Tbsp flour
2 tsp mustard powder
Salt, pinch
1 c. cream
7 bacon strips, cooked

1. Fill a 2 quart casserole dish with cabbage. Sprikle flour, mustard powder and salt over the cabbage. Pour the cream over the mixture. Lay bacon strips over the top.

2. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Cut strips of bacon with scissors before serving.



Shared on the following sites - Please give them a visit!



Labels:

2 Comments:

At September 20, 2011 at 4:35 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Looks excellent and anything passed down in the family is a recipe not to be crossed. It got passed down for a reason. Love it.
Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño

 
At September 21, 2011 at 4:15 PM , Blogger DANIELLE said...

I SEE BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YUMMMY!! THANKS FOR SHARING AT WONKA WEDNESDAY!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home