Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mini Meatball Sandwiches

I have the hardest times with dinners, or what others call "lunch" when you aren't from the Midwest. I hate this meal. Well that might be extreme but I struggle with making something for it. I always go the easy way with mac & cheese, grilled cheese, pizza, pigs in a blanket ok so you get the point.
Usually it's Saturdays when I struggle with this meal the most and lately we've had people over to help with the garage and I have to feed them and I never seem to plan ahead at all for this meal. It's like the forgotten meal to me. I go through and do a menu plan for the entire week, go to the grocery store and then it ends up being Saturday I'm going "Crap what on earth was I thinking"? Or maybe there was a lack of thinking that constituted my problem.

Last week I was totally on the ball and planned for the dreaded dinner on Saturday. Oh like it was dreaded, that might be me just being a bit drama filled. I picked out a Mini Meatball Sandwich recipe that I had "pinned" on Pinterest. By the way if you want to follow me go check it out and if you haven't used Pinterest I highly recommend getting started. If you need an invite just ask me!

Where was I? Oh back to the Mini Meatball Sandwiches. I had put this on the menu for Saturday and low and behold I realized Saturday morning this would be the day we wouldn't have anyone to eat it! Luckily, bless his heart, the hubby's older brother showed up and helped us for the day and we got the entire garage shingled! I also treated him to this for dinner, I mean it was the least I could do when he was out there sweating on our behalf. The recipe got rave reviews and it will be a keeper. So if you struggle as much as I do with dinners put your mind to rest and serve this up next time. Enjoy!


Mini Meatball Sandwiches
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients
1 lb ground beef
1/2 c. Panko or Breadcrumbs
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
Black Pepper
1/2 c. milk
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 onion, diced
1 jar marinara sauce
12 Dinner rolls
12 Slices Provolone Cheese

1. Mix meat with bread crumbs, garlic, salt, pepper and milk. Knead together with hands. Roll into heaping tablespoon sized meatballs.

2. Heat olive oil in LARGE skillet over medium heat. Add onion into skillet and cook for one minute.

3. Add meatballs and brown one minute. If your skillet isn't that big you might have to do this in two different batches. Flip the meatballs over gently with a fork and brown the other side another minute. Add enough marinara over meatballs so they won't burn. I would guess I used about  1/2 of the jar. Shake pan throughout cooking to mix. Simmer with lid on for about 20 minutes.

4. Put Provolone cheese on bun and spoon meatballs and sauce on bun.

Adapted from: The Pioneer Woman

Labels:

3 Comments:

At August 10, 2011 at 6:09 AM , Blogger Day said...

Yum!

 
At August 10, 2011 at 8:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always made mini meatball sandwiches. The size of the meatball just works out better with a smaller bun. I suggest that you also pull out part of the bun so the meatballs stay inside the sandwich when you take a bite. Also, try toasting the bread (open faced) under the broiler to get the cheese to melt. When I make my meatballs (with ground pork and ground beef) I make enough to freeze. That way you ready for those dinner fixes!
Karen

 
At August 10, 2011 at 11:20 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

really? i think lunch is easy! i usually have the hardest time with breakfast. i can't choke down anything that early. but with lunch, i just throw together anything!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home