Friday, July 29, 2011

Fresh Blueberry Coffee Cake

Is it bad that I am enjoying the fact that my husband is out of town for work tonight? I've gotten so much accomplished and it's been so nice and peaceful. I think I might be an awful wife for thinking this thought. Please...oh please....tell me I'm not.

I'm a rather independent person and I have to admit getting married was quite the adjustment for me. We are coming up on our one year anniversary and I can't say there haven't been a few bumps in the road. I love my husband dearly but sometimes two people just have differences. I'm hoping a few of you can relate to this. I lived alone for three years before getting married. We did not live together before we got married. I'm not on a soapbox about this subject but we just decided we were not going to. I'm glad we didn't because we were excited about this aspect and it was truely a treat to get married and be able to live together. Well a treat most of the time that is. I had a big adjustment factor. I was used to coming home and the house was clean, just as I had left it. The cupboards were stocked, just as I had stocked them. The bathroom was neat and tidy, just as I had left it. Boy was my world rocked when I came home and nothing was as I had left it. There were a few, or a lot, of not so pretty moments as I learned to try to relax, something I admit I'm not great it, and let the small things slide. We've come a long ways but I'll admit sometimes I need some me time to relax and get things accomplished.

The hubby is actually building a cabin about an hour away and will be gone during the week for the next month for sure and I'm thinking it might be good to have time to miss each other and look forward to seeing each other just like we used to when we lived an hour apart. It might be like dating again. I think when we get married we lose a little bit of something special. I miss that excitement and thrill of looking forward to seeing each other and spending time together. The hubby being gone a bit just might be a positive thing in our relationship...I'm going to say that I miss my hubby already even though I did get a lot done. There's no one here to give me that hug when I get frustrated or tease me about something stupid I did (not that it happens often at all!).

Whoa...I think I got off on a tangent there! Now for the recipe I'm going to share with you. It's blueberry season and I had to pick up a few cartons of blueberries when they were on sale at the grocery store. The hubby isn't a blueberry fan so the coworkers got treated to this recipe. It's a very delicous coffee cake and I would describedthe texture more like a pound cake than light and fluffy. The hubby did try a piece and he said it was pretty good for being blueberry. He thought that maybe I could subsitute strawberries because he really liked the plain part of the cake. The coworkers were dashing into the kitchen to grab a piece after I let them know it was in there. One even emailed me while she was eating it to tell me how good it was! Enjoy!



Fresh Blueberry Coffee Cake
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients
1 1/4 c. fresh blueberries
1 1/3 c. white sugar, divided
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 c. butter, softened
2 eggs
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 c. sour cream
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
1/2 c. pecans (optional)

Glaze
3/4 c. powdered sugar
1 Tbsp warm water
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease tube pan.

2. In a small saucepan, combine blueberries, 1/3 cup sugar and cornstarch. Cook over medium heat 2-3 minutes, or until thick. Stir constantly and set aside.

3. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.

4. Combine flour, salt and baking powder. Add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Add flavoring.

5. Spoon half of mixture into prepared pan. Spoon half of blueberry mixture into pan. Add remaining batter, then blueberries. Swirl with a knife gently. Sprinkle with pecans, if using.

6. Bake 50 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before removing from pan. Place on a serving dish.

7. Prepare glaze: Mix glaze ingredients well. Drizzle over top of cake.

Recipe From: Recipe Girl

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At July 29, 2011 at 7:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow I love your coffee cake in a bundt pan! I have a recipe for a blueberry raspberry coffee cake, but never thought to out it in a bundt pan.
Karen

 
At August 3, 2011 at 1:52 AM , Blogger Savannah McQueen said...

This looks just heavenly. Found you through TastyKitchen. I subscribed to your site.

 
At August 6, 2011 at 3:15 PM , Blogger Krista said...

Coffee cake, how perfect for a church supper. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see you again this week.

Everyday Mom's Meals

 
At August 8, 2011 at 9:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi- I made this cake this morning after finding the recipe on Tasty Kitchen. A huge "THANK YOU" for this. My son just got back from Germany and brought an unexpected guest -- I needed a quick fix for breakfast for them, considering I have about 2 lbs of blueberries sitting in the fridge. The cake is done, the kids are still sleeping (probably getting up at the crack of noon)and I just had the first slice. Absolutely amazing. I went with both the almond and vanilla flavoring in modest amounts, probably went a little heavy with the sour cream, but the cake is beyond moist, flavorful and will likely be gone within the next 2 hours. Thanks for a great recipe -- I am keeping it and will be using it when the blueberries are in season in NJ (which is like 6 months out fo the year). Thanks again!!!!!

Jim

 
At March 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get great online web traffic using superb xrumer service today. We are able post your custom post up to 10K forums worldwide, get thousands of backlinks and amazing online web traffic in shortest time. Most affordable and most powerful service for web traffic and backlinks in the world!!!!
Price just from $29 your post will be published up to 100000 forums worldwide your website will get insatnt traffic and massive increase in rankings just after few days or weeks. Order now:
[url=http://xrumerservice.org/]xrumer blast[/url]

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home