Sunday, June 19, 2011

Ice Cream Crunch

Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's out there on this special day! I'm definitely a Daddy's girl just ask my two brothers and they will fully support this statement. I remember my mom when I was growing up coming and asking me to ask my dad for something because she new that if I asked he'd go for it, but if she did he wouldn't. We didn't do this many times, only when we found that it was completely necessary of course! My dad has always been there for me and supported me in life with everything so I can't wait to have him over for supper tonight to say "thanks" for everything he has gave me in life. For Father's Day I temporarily lost my sanity and volunteered to not only host the hubby's family for the noon meal but then my family for supper. Actually it turns out it hasn't been that bad. Well, my hubby might not agree as yesterday I may have lost it a few times when I was trying to clean and cook. We got through it though! I even seem to have found enough of a break in between the hosting to write up this blog post. Luckily I picked two fairly simple meal plans that allowed me to prepare most of the food ahead of time and I've got the hubby on grill duty tonight for my family. The recipe I'm sharing with you is what I made for dessert at noon. It was incredibly yummy, which I'm not sure is surprising because with the list of ingredients like this how can you really go wrong? I think this dessert screams summertime and it's the perfect summer day for it. I adapted it to make it chocolate free but you can change it back to chocolate if you like. If you are feeling really crazy you could do one jar of caramel sauce and one jar of chocolate sauce! Now if I could have chocolate that would be the way I would go for sure. Enjoy!



Ice Cream Crunch
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients

2 c. flour
1/2 c. quick oats
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 c. chopped nuts - any kind (I omitted)
1 c. butter, softened
1/2 gallon ice cream, softened
2 jars caramel or chocolate sauce

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Cut butter into all crust ingredients (flour, quick oats, brown sugar & nuts) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. A dough blender works great for this. If you don't have one I highly recommend pursing one. Pat into a rimmed cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Crumble while still warm.



3. Spread 2/3 of the crumbs onto the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. Heat 1 jar of caramel or chocolate topping in the microwave until pourable. Drizzle warm topping onto the crumb mixture.



4. Spread softened ice cream on top of crumbs and chocolate. Spread to smooth. Sprinkle remaining 1/3 of crumbs over ice cream. Warm 2nd jar of topping in microwave until pourable. Drizzle topping over ice cream and crumbs.



5. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze several hours or overnight. Allow to set for about 10 minutes before cutting.

Adapted from: Simple Fair, Fairly Simple

Labels:

3 Comments:

At June 19, 2011 at 1:46 PM , Blogger Valerie Gardner said...

Hey Julie....you did a faboo job with this recipe!!

Valerie ~ Simple Fare, Fairly Simple

 
At June 21, 2011 at 2:21 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

oh la la! i've never heard of anything like this before! is it actually slightly crunchy? does the ice cream make it soggy?

and thanks for answering my question about the quesadillas!

Amanda
softandstiffpeaks.blogspot.com

 
At June 22, 2011 at 7:49 AM , Blogger Julie said...

I think the crust and topping stays fairly crunchy for being topped with ice cream!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home