Monday, June 6, 2011

Tempting Tortellini & Ham

Wow it's a toasty one today! We go from cold to HOT and we never seem to get that perfect summer weather do we? Ahhh just never happy am I? We enjoyed the weekend weather, that actually was pretty nice, by camping for the weekend as I mentioned in my last few posts. My hubby was the main "chef" this weekend so I thought I'd treat him to supper tonight. So thoughtful aren't I? In fact a lady walked past our camper while he was slaving over the grill and commented he must be the cook all weekend. At that given moment I thought I might be taking advantage of the situation if someone else noticed, but then I realized she doesn't see me slaving in the kitchen all week so I continued to take advantage of him grilling this weekend! I assure you he was not the only one that cooked. In fact I grilled my very first chicken breasts this weekend. I didn't even burn them and we didn't get salmonella either. Success in my opinion! This recipe I'm sharing with you comes together in a flash which is great for a week night meal. My hubby saw all the cheese laying on the counter when I was making it and his eyes lit up as he commented "wow if it has that much cheese it's gotta be good". He loves anything with cheese that's for sure! Enjoy!

 
Tempting Tortellini & Ham
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients

9 oz cheese tortellini
1 c. peas
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/4 c. fat-free milk
1/4 c. half and half cream
1 1/2 c. cubed, fully cooked lean ham
4 ounces fat free cream cheese, cubed
1/2 c. grated Romano cheese
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper

1. In a large saucepan, cook tortellini according to package directions.

2. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.

3. Add the ham, peas, basil, garlic powder, and pepper; cook and stir until cream cheese is melted. Drain tortellini; add to pan and heat through.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At June 7, 2011 at 3:19 AM , Blogger Loveandcalories said...

Ur new follower!! found u through Basilmomma's blog hop!!

Cheers
Rohini
loveandcalories.blogspot.com

 
At June 8, 2011 at 4:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Nice to meet a fellow-Minnesotan on this blog hop. :) Your site is so cheerful and colorful, Julie -- and your Tortellini recipe is definitely tempting!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home