Wednesday, June 15, 2011

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Do you have those foods that you know you want to make but you never really get there? This is one of them for me. I have bookmarked, cut out, highlighted etc. None of this ever helped me actually make BBQ Pulled Pork. I knew it couldn't be that hard but all the recipes I found had all sorts of rubs, homemade sauce, etc. I knew I wanted simple recipe that I could throw in the crock-pot and go to work and when I got home it would almost be done. Then I came across this recipe and it had rave reviews on Tasty Kitchen and I knew I had to make it. Another motivating factor was I'm trying to find recipes that I can make and not heat up the entire kitchen which made me think of the crock-pot, but all the recipes I have reminded me of winter. This is a summer recipe in my opinion so I gave it a whirl. I can not say enough about it. It's super duper easy, incredibly good, and the meat literally fell apart when I was trying to take it out the crock-pot. It got rave reviews from my hubby also, which is good because I truly have been striking out lately as you all read in the last post. This totally redeemed me and I'm sure he thinks I'm the best wife in the world again! Try this recipe even if you have a different one you usually use. The secret ingredient is the hickory flavored smoke so make sure you use it. I used a 4 lb bone-in pork shoulder because the local grocery store didn't have boneless and it still turned out great although I cut back on the BBQ sauce a little. We had leftovers so stay tuned for what I used them for the next night! Enjoy!



BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Printer Friendly Recipe


Ingredients

4 lbs boneless pork shoulder or pork loin
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
2 c. water
1 Tbsp hickory-flavored smoke
2 c. barbecue sauce
Buns

1. Rinse the pork shoulder and pat dry. Rub salt and pepper over the pork and place in a crock-pot.

2. Add water and liquid smoke. Cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours, until the pork is very tender.

3. Remove the pork from the crock-pot and discard the remaining liquid. Shred the pork using a couple of forks.

4. Place the meat back in the crock-pot along with the barbecue sauce and continue to cook for another 20-30 minutes until the pork is hot again. Serve on buns with extra barbecue sauce.

Recipe adapted from: Mel's Kitchen Cafe

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At November 11, 2011 at 7:26 AM , Blogger Heather said...

I make pulled pork but I just put the pork tenderloin in with a 2 liter bottle of root beer. It tastes amazing! My friend does it with different flavors of beer. When it comes out, shred it and add bbq sauce. It's delicious!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home