Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Caramel Oatmeal Bars

This recipe was a mistake. Well not a mistake but a dire attempt to save the night after my first pan of bars was a flop. I first made Salted Nut Roll bars and I had been looking forward to these bars for a few weeks so I couldn't wait until the next day to sample one so I dug in. Oh wow was I disappointed when I tasted them. My peanuts went bad! I didn't even know they could do this. They tasted, well, dirty I guess is what I would describe it as. I was in panic mode. I was hosting a Tupperware Party the next night and about everything possible had went wrong last night when I was getting ready. I grabbed my go to cookbook from a local church and whipped it open praying that the good Lord above would have some kind of bar in there I had all the ingredients on had for. He did. This cookbook had never let me down as it was tried and true local recipes made with love for generations. Luckily this recipe came through for me. I had rave reviews on them at the party and my husband couldn't wait till after the party so he could eat the rest of them. He would have been disappointed if they were gone! As for my Salted Nut Roll bars...the recipe will be appearing soon as I am still craving them! Enjoy!



Caramel Oatmeal Bars
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients

1 c. flour
1 c. oatmeal
3/4 c. butter, melted
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Melt:
32 caramels
1/3 c. half & half (The recipe says you can use milk if you don't have half & half)
1/2 c. chocolate chips



1. Blend the first 6 ingredients and pat firmly in a well-greased 9x13 inch pan.

2. Melt 32 caramels in 1/3 cup half & half. Pour caramel over crumb mixture and sprinkle with chocolate chips.

3. Bake for 20-25 min at 325 degrees.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At June 9, 2011 at 7:13 AM , Blogger Missy~ said...

Sounds easy and delicious! (well except unwrapping all those caramels :D )

 
At June 9, 2011 at 8:01 AM , Blogger Julie said...

I agree Missy! I usually make my husband do it while he sits on the couch while I slave away in the kitchen and he wasn't even home to do it..although I think I might lose a few caramels to him :)

 
At June 9, 2011 at 5:21 PM , Blogger Sherri@FoodBasics101.com said...

Hello Julie! I found you through Basilmomma's Blog Hop! Lovin' your Caramel Oatmeal Bars! Have a great day! Sherri

http://www.FoodBasics101.com
Facebook- http://tinyurl.com/3nd53r4

 
At March 21, 2012 at 2:37 PM , Anonymous Desiree said...

KRAFT now makes caramel bites that are ready for baking. No unwrapping :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home