Sunday, May 22, 2011

English Trifle

This is my potluck creation that I came up with! I knew I wanted to use my Trifle Bowl that my parents gave me for a birthday present many years ago and I found it again when I was cleaning out our closets after our basement project. I've never used it even though I think it's the cutest bowl ever. I also knew that I wanted strawberries in it because my wonderful hubby love strawberries. I thought that I had this recipe tucked away that would be perfect for it in my folder of "I should try recipes". So I started going through that and actually found some other recipes to try. Always a good thing. This recipe isn't quick but it's not hard, just takes a little bit of time to put it all together. Trust me it's well worth the effort! Enjoy!

English Trifle
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients

1 package (3 oz) strawberry gelatin
1 c. boiling water
1 c. cold water
1 prepared angel food cake (8 oz), cut into cubes
1 c. mashed strawberries
1 tsp sugar
1 can (8 oz) unsweetened pineapple chunks
1 c. sliced firm bananas
2 c. sliced fresh strawberries
2 c. cold fat-free milk
1 package (1 oz) vanilla pudding mix
1 carton (8 oz) frozen Cool Whip, thawed
1/4 c. slivered almonds, toasted (I skipped this)

1. In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in cold water. Pour half of gelatin mixture into a small bow; refrigerate for 1 hour or until slightly thickened. Let remaining gelatin stand at room temperature.

2. Place half of cake cubes in a trifle bowl. In a small bowl, combine mashed strawberries and sugar; spoon half over the cake.

3. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 c. juice. Cut pineapple chunks in half; arrange half over mashed strawberries. Toss banana slices with reserved pineapple juice; arrange half of slices over pineapple. Top with 1 c. sliced strawberries. For one of my wedding presents I got this handy little Strawberry Huller. It's inexpensive and I've used it a ton this spring already. Totally recommend the purchase! Spoon refrigerated gelatin over fruit. Refrigerate trifle and remaining gelatin mixture for 20 minutes.

4. In a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Spread half of pudding over trifle. Repeat all layers. Top with whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate. Just before serving , sprinkle with almonds.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At May 25, 2011 at 7:36 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

This is so cool! A year or two ago, I made a cake similar to this - angel food cake rounds with whipped cream, vanilla pudding, and strawberries layered in. Putting bananas and pineapples in sound like a good idea! But I do think that trifles are a bit messy in serving - I prefer cakes.

-Amanda

http://softandstiffpeaks.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home