Friday, December 7, 2012

Cherry Pie Bars

I am a huge almond extract fan. Anyone else share this feeling? 

If you add almond extract to anything pretty much I'm a goner. So when I read there was not only almond extract in the dough but also in the glaze in these festive little cherry pie bars I knew I was going to love them. 

Plus it had cherry. Yum. Now I can't wait to try blueberry., but the hubby hates both of those. He says strawberry, but for some reason I can't wrap my head around canned strawberry pie filling. Has anyone out there tried it?

I mean fresh strawberry pies I'm all about, but canned? I just don't know about that. Why is it ok to use every other type of canned pie filling but not strawberry in my head? Good question. I'll let you know if I figure it out later. 

I love these little bars because, well, I hate making pie. So give me a slab pie and I'm done for. Heaven. 

These would be fun festive treats for Christmas too, so if you have the "dessert" assignment for a holiday gathering look no further!



Cherry Pie Bars

Ingredients
1 c, butter, softened
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
3 c. flour
1 tsp salt
2 cans (21 ounce) cherry pie filling

Glaze
1 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 Tbsp milk

1. Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, beating after each addition. Mix in extracts. Add flour and salt. Mix until well combined. 

2. Spread 3 cups of the batter in a greased jelly roll pan. Spread pie filling on top of dough. Drop remaining dough by tablespoonfuls on top of cherry pie topping.

3. Baked at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool.

4. Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over bars. If serving the next day wait and do this before serving or the bars will be a bit soggy!






Recipe from: The Recipe Critic

Labels:

1 Comments:

At December 7, 2012 at 6:59 AM , Blogger Jessica@AKitchenAddiction said...

Oh, I like the idea of using almond extract in the crust!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home