Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Zucchini Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting

I had some zucchini that definitely needed to be used up. Like yesterday. I did the typical Zucchini Bread and I still had some left so I was determined to find something different that I could use it up in. I told my mom I wanted to make pancakes and she didn't think that sounded good. I still think it sounds good but I didn't go with the pancakes because the hubby was gone for work and I knew I'd have to much on hand. I decided to try out these cookies. Wow. I'm sure glad I did. They were wonderful! These cookies are soft even after a few days which is a must in my book plus you top them with a cream cheese frosting that hardens just enough to be perfection. They even turned my mom into a believer that you can actually do something with zucchini other then make it into bread.

I'm not going to say that this whole cookie making process didn't go without a little mishap. Back in college my professor always told us to make sure that we read our recipes through and double checked them. I remember one time none of us did this in class and we were making marshmallows. Lets just say it didn't end pretty and there were grown students getting reprimanded for not following directions and it ended with us having to clean up and not make marshmallows. Not a pretty scene. You would think that after that incident I'd learn to read my recipes, but nope it didn't happen. I got to the "add flour" step in the recipe and there was no flour listed. I might have panicked. Without much of a choice I just started adding flour until I thought it formed a cookie dough. I did a test cookie. Nope to runny. Added some more flour. Tested another cookie. Just perfect. Success! I'll try and make sure all the ingredients are listed on this recipe for you!

This recipe does make a lot. I mean a ton of cookies so if you don't have an army to feed or a lot of friend and family to share with you might want to cut it in half. I shared my cookies with my sister-in-law and her family (who just had the most adorable baby boy ever!), my brother-in-law, my co-workers, my parents, my hubby ate a ton...so you get the idea. I think you could easily freeze these for later also. I added raisins to my cookies but feel free to throw in some chocolate chips instead if you aren't a raisin fan. Enjoy!



Zucchini Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients
3 eggs
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. vegetable oil
2 c. grated zucchini
3 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
4 c. flour
1 c. raisins

Frosting
4 oz cream cheese, softened
4 Tbsp butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 c. powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat eggs until light and fluffy. Add oil, sugars, zucchini and vanilla. Mix well.

2. In a separate bowl combine flour, soda, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add to egg mixture and mix well. Add raisins.

3. Drop onto greased baking sheet. Baked 10-12 minutes or until edges start to turn golden brown. Cool completely and the frost.

4. For the frosting cream butter and cream cheese. Add vanilla. Mix in powdered sugar until the right consistency. Add more if needed. Frost cookies.

Shared on the following sites - Please give them a visit!

Labels:

9 Comments:

At August 24, 2011 at 8:00 AM , Blogger Rachel @ Simple Girl said...

These look yummy! My grandma always made frosted cookies. I think I have some zucchini left, too! :-)

 
At August 24, 2011 at 8:08 AM , Blogger TinaRBK said...

This is the perfect way to get kids to eat zucchini! Thanks for sharing this tasty and unique recipe. Yum!

 
At August 24, 2011 at 6:38 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am so glad you linked up! These look and sound divine! :)

Thanks so much for linking this up this week to Made it on Monday!

www.larkscountryheart.com

 
At August 25, 2011 at 4:17 AM , Anonymous Rebecca @ A Dash of Thyme said...

Because you have Zucchini in cookie form WITH the most amazing cream cheese icing recipe, I will attempt! :) I'm not a huge fan of Zucchini but anything covered in this icing is worth a shot! :) They look fantastic!!

 
At August 25, 2011 at 6:34 AM , Anonymous carolinaheartstrings said...

Those cookies look so moist and yummy. Great way to use squash! Come over and visit us today. We have a wonderful chicken and dumpling recipe.

 
At August 25, 2011 at 9:47 AM , Blogger Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Those cookies look so delicious! Don't you just love using the Summer zucchini for sweets? I just liked you on Facebook. Hope you have a good day, Julie!

 
At August 26, 2011 at 8:00 AM , Anonymous Mercedes said...

I had the same zucchini predicament last week! These look great and I bet they were so soft and moist.

 
At August 27, 2011 at 8:07 PM , Anonymous Michelle Benoit (Chocolate Central) said...

I've been making zucchini bread for years, but I'm definitely going to try your recipe. Who doesn't love cream cheese frosting? The ingredient list looks healthy too, especially if I use a whole grain flour and organic eggs, which I usually do anyway. I'll be making these with my kids real soon. Thanks for such a great recipe and idea!

 
At August 29, 2011 at 4:00 PM , Blogger Krista said...

My grandma makes a cookie very similar to this and now I'm wondering if hers as zucchini in it too! Ha! I'll have to ask :) Thanks for sharing at Church Supper :)

Everyday Mom's Meals

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home