Monday, August 29, 2011

Strawberry Bread - Secret Recipe Club

This last month I joined the "Secret Recipe Club". It's a group of us bloggers that have established a fun little thing and each month you are assigned someones blog and then you get to pick a recipe from that blog to try out and post about on a given day. Neat-o huh? None of us know who has your blog until the "reveal date". I love trying recipes and am always looking for a new one on someones blog so this was right up my ally.

This month I was assigned Mele Cotte's blog. It's got tons of recipes to look at and try. Now I'm going to tell you she's a bit more "daring" with her recipes than I am. Mine tend to reflect my Midwestern heritage and use the simple ingredients but her recipes definitely have a bit more flare involved so if you are looking for some flare definitely go to her blog and check it out after all who can't use flare in their lives?!

I picked out the Strawberry Bread to try out for my post because the hubby loves love loves strawberries. The bread was moist and wonderful. The only thing I would change next time is to leave out the cardamom spice and try cinnamon and/or nutmeg. I'm not a big fan of cardamom and was a little hesitant on it when I saw it but figured I would try it exactly as the recipe calls for it. I think it leaves a weird aftertaste but that's just my opinion! Enjoy!


Strawberry Bread
Printer Friendly Recipe

1 cup (2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ½ cup sugar
6 large eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 tsp ground cardamom
1 cup sour cream
3 cups chopped fresh strawberries
1 cup sliced almonds (I omitted these for the hubby BUT I would love them in the bread)

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and line two 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper hanging over the long sides for easy removal.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground cardamom; set aside. With the paddle attachment of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture and sour cream alternately, starting and ending with the flour. Mix until just combined. Gently fold in the chopped strawberries and half the almonds.

3. Divide the batter between the prepared pan and sprinkle with the remaining almonds. Bake about hour, or until the bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
Place on a wire rack to cool and then remove the bread from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature. This bread can be frozen. Yields two 9 x 5 inch loaf.

Labels:

12 Comments:

At August 29, 2011 at 5:51 AM , Blogger 365daysofbaking said...

I love strawberry bread and it is a great summertime treat! Welcome to the SRC, Julie. Great job!

 
At August 29, 2011 at 5:54 AM , Anonymous Chris said...

Yeah! I am thrilled you tried this recipe. It is a favorite of mine. And, it works beautifully with cinnamon and nutmeg. While I am a huge fan of cardamom, many of my friends are not, so I have made the change accordingly.

Welcome to SRC and thanks for perusing my lil' blog. :)

 
At August 29, 2011 at 6:55 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

mmmmm, yummy, strawberry bread!!!!

 
At August 29, 2011 at 12:25 PM , Blogger Plain Chicken said...

I bet this tasted great! I would make it with the almonds - I adore almonds.

 
At August 29, 2011 at 1:22 PM , Blogger Eliotseats said...

MMMMM--I love quick breads. This recipe with strawberries looks amazing.

 
At August 29, 2011 at 3:27 PM , Anonymous jess @ littlegirlbigappetite.com said...

Ohhh that looks yummy! :)

 
At August 29, 2011 at 4:08 PM , Blogger Lisa~~ said...

Strawberry bread sounds wonderful.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A" ~ SRC recipe this month: Cilantro Lime Chicken

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

 
At August 29, 2011 at 4:36 PM , Anonymous kita said...

What a beautiful bread and great use of strawberries for SRC. Looks delicious!

 
At August 29, 2011 at 8:25 PM , Anonymous Manu said...

Ohh yum! I never tried strawberry bread and this one looks so moist and delicious! Great pick... I am loving this month's SRC!!!

 
At August 30, 2011 at 7:33 AM , Anonymous Jey @ The Jey of Cooking said...

Yum! I think I might have to try this next time I have a hankering for fruity bread.

 
At September 1, 2011 at 4:43 PM , Blogger Concetta said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe!
<><
Concetta

 
At September 3, 2011 at 7:45 AM , Anonymous marla {family fresh cooking} said...

This strawberry bread looks addictive! Awesome to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you. Here is my post for September :) http://su.pr/1Sizv9
Also: I would love if you added this and any other links to my "Happy Post" today. http://su.pr/1bZ8fp

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home