Friday, August 26, 2011

Cake Batter Ice Cream

I grew up in a household that only made homemade ice cream on very special occasions. Maybe once a year. I always remember that when it was made there was excitement in the air. My parents always made it sound like a huge ordeal to make ice cream, but the reward was well worth it. The ice cream was always vanilla and way better than any store bought ice cream. Someday I might share this recipe with you but it will have to be a very special occasion as it is my Grandpa Boots's recipe. Yup his nickname was Boots. How awesome is that? I have no idea how he got this or why but that's what everyone called him!

Remembering how special it was making homemade ice cream when I was growing up I made sure to register for an ice cream maker for my wedding. My mom bought it for me because she knew the memory that went along with it. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree on this one. It took my just shy of my first anniversary to whip the ice cream maker out of it's box. Looking back I should have gotten a smaller more easily useable one but nope I went with the big old fashioned one. Let this be your warning if you need to get one You even have to soak the wood barrel of it or it leaks the melting ice! Good thing this recipe made it worth it.

The recipe I tried out was Cake Batter because I LOVE Cold Stone Creamery's cake batter. The ice cream was smooth and rich. The hubby looked and me and said I don't think I've ever had home made ice cream this smooth. He usually thinks it has ice crystals. My Grandpa's recipe doesn't have ice crystals but maybe the ice cream he's used to does! You won't be disappointed with this recipe plus it's not as hard as my parents make it out to be but it's a bit time consuming! Enjoy!



Cake Batter Ice Cream
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients
2 c. heavy cream
1 c. half and half
1/2 - 3/4 c. white granulated sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
3/4 c. dry yellow cake mix, unprepared

1. Stir together the half & half, and sugar until sugar is dissolved. This does not take long just stir with a spoon. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla.

2. Measure out the dry cake mix. If you have a sifter use it as the cake mix gets lumpy and you don't want lumps in your ice cream. I actually don't have a sifter (I know what a hoar!) so I just used a whisk and whisked the lumps out. Stir in the cake mix into the cream mixture until it's completely mixed and the mixture is smooth.

3. Make sure the ice cream base is cool before putting it in the ice cream freezer for processing. If you used cold half & half and cream then the base should be ready to process. If the base is room temperature put it in the refrigerator and cool. Once the base is cool pour it into the bucket of your ice cream maker and process according to manufactuer's instructions.

4. After processing, put the ice cream into a bowl or other container, seal, and place in the freezer for several hours to allow the ice cream to get firmer.

Recipe From: That's Some Good Cookin'

Labels:

6 Comments:

At August 26, 2011 at 8:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

what flavor of cake mix should we use???

 
At August 26, 2011 at 9:26 AM , Blogger TinaRBK said...

I have never tried cake batter ice cream, but obviously missing out! Thanks for sharing this recipe-yum!

 
At August 27, 2011 at 12:18 AM , Blogger Savannah McQueen said...

My family was like yours...we made it on the 4th of July. This recipe looks great.

 
At August 27, 2011 at 8:18 PM , Blogger Terri @ that's some good cookin' said...

Hey, Julie. So glad this recipe worked well for you! I think I'm going to have to make some more tomorrow just because you made it sound so delicious here.

 
At August 28, 2011 at 8:48 AM , Anonymous Russell at Chasing Delicious said...

I love making ice cream but I love how you grew up with it being a special treat for special occasions. We never made it as a kid but as soon I was on my own I got myself an ice cream maker. This recipe looks scrumptious.

P.s. Your blog is so cute! I'm glad I stumbled upon it.

 
At August 28, 2011 at 3:12 PM , Anonymous Rebecca @ A Dash of Thyme said...

Love finding new ice cream flavors to whip up in the ice cream maker!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home