Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Haystacks

I love this recipe. I repeat again I love this recipe. It's one of my all time favorites and it once again originates in my Mom's kitchen. You love that dear mom of mine just as much as me now don't you? You always know it's going to be amazing when it comes out of her kitchen.

I'll also admit that I've been holding out on you with this recipe. She made it a couple months ago and I forgot my camera. Well I had requested it again and I remember the camera this time!'

I would also like to dedicate this blog posting to my dear friend, Michelle. Michelle and I went to college together and become instant buddies. She came home with me one weekend and mom made us Haystacks or if you are Michelle you'll call the "Haybales". Whichever name you use they will still taste amazing! I wrote on her facebook wall telling her that I was going to Mom's for "Haybales" and she said back "You HAVE to blog that recipe!" So her it is for all of you to enjoy.

Please feel free to adapt the toppings to your preferences. My mom created "corrals" in our haystacks so my brother could have his toppings, my hubby the ultimate picky man could have a few toppings while the rest of us indulged in ALL the toppings!

Oh and please excuse the not so great pictures. The story goes something like this, the hubby is running late, mom has supper done, we arrive at supper, the food is on the table getting cold, guess I'll make do and snap a picture while my brother makes fun of me!



Haystacks
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients
3/4 - 1 c. crushed saltines, about 20 crackers
1 c. cooked rice
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 large onion, chopped
3/4 c. tomato juice
1/4-1/2 c. water
1 1/2 tbsp Taco seasoning mix
Seasoned salt, salt and pepper to taste
2 c. shredded lettuce
1 1/2 c. medium tomatoes, diced
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. milk
1/2 lb processed American cheese, cubed
1 1/2 c. (6 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 jar stuffed olives, drained, diced
Tortilla chips

1. Put crackers on the bottom of a 9x13 in baking dish. Top with rice.

2. In a skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain.

3. Add tomato juice, water, seasonings, simmer for 15-20 minutes. Spoon over rice

4. Sprinkle with lettuce and tomatoes.

5. In a saucepan melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk stirring as  you add it. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes, reduce heat; sir in American cheese until melted. Pour over tomatoes.

6. Top with cheddar cheese and olives.

7. Serve with tortilla chips.



Shared on the following sites - Please give them a visit!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At November 16, 2011 at 3:06 AM , Blogger Savannah McQueen said...

This looks so good. Would you consider linking it up to my blog hop party? Here is the direct link - http://www.savannahssavorybites.com/2011/11/under-big-top-friday-november-11.html#idc-container

 
At July 3, 2012 at 8:02 AM , Anonymous Rissa said...

You know i loved this one too when i went home with you that one weekend. It must have been your moms "college visitor" dish!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home