Monday, January 10, 2011

Cheesy Bacon Potato Soup

This is going to be a short post tonight! Someone requested this recipe so I thought I would share it with all of you. Excuse the lack of pictures as I was in a hurry trying to impress the in-laws and didn't take any :) I think we can all imagine what a cheesy potato soup looks like though!  I made this soup Christmas Eve for the Evink Christmas. I was daring and tried out a new recipe for the in-laws. This could have really backfired but I lucked out and it turned out marvelous! I made an addition to it and that was the bacon. The original recipe does not call for this but Jason loved this change and so did the rest of us also! If you are looking for a "light" recipe this isn't the recipe for you...it has THREE sticks of butter...but it's a good treat once in a while! I hope everyone's week is off to a good start...don't get buried under all this snow again :)

Cheesy Bacon Potato Soup

Ingredients
6 Large Potatoes
1 Large Onion (I used dried onion, as we are not big fans of onion!)
7 Large Carrots (I skimped on this as Jason doesn't love these either!)
12 C HOT Water
12 Bullion Cubes
3 Sticks Butter
1 1/2 C Flour
1 16 oz jar Cheese Whiz
1 (3oz) Package Real Bacon Bits by Oscar Mayer

1. Peel and chop the vegetables. Place them in a large pot filled with water. Bring to a boil and cook until crisp tender. When they are done pour them into a strainer to get rid of the water.

2. In a separate LARGE soup pot melt the butter over medium heat. Make sure it's large as it makes a TON of soup!

3. When the butter has melted, add your flour. Stir it in really well with a whisk. It will make a silky smooth mixture.

4. Add your 12 cups hot water. I just use my hottest tap water, you don't need it to be boiling.

5. Add the bullion cubes.

6. Stir the mixture until it starts to thicken up. It shouldn't take long. Adding hot water helps cut down on the thickening time.

7. When the soup has thickened add the jar of cheese whiz. Stir to incorporate.

8. Add your cooked veggies. (Do not add any of the water you used to cook them in.)  That's it! Enjoy!


Recipe: Jamie Cooks It Up!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home