Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Caramel Apple Cobbler

I'm a farm girl through and through. You can take the girl off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the girl. It will never leave me. It's a lifestyle. Not that I'm very far from the farm. I moved to "town", which happens to be a whopping 5,000 people. The farm is all of a great seven miles away.

Every spring I'm calling Daddy (that's right "Daddy" I'll always be his little girl) and asking how much he's got in the field, what field he's in or bugging my little bro about what's going on out at the farm.

Fall time rolls around and I'm constantly scanning the fields for the first sign of harvest. I love that sweet smell of fall. The crops coming out, crisp autumn leaves, fresh dirt from the fields being worked. I'm a dork. Have you noticed yet?

My family is also spoiled. My amazing mother, seriously amazing, brings a hot meal out to the field every night. How's that for service? It's like meals on wheels. She gets tired and burned out though, so being the wonderful daughter I am (I'm saying this only to boost my ego) I volunteer a couple times every fall and bring supper out.

I love it. The guys rave and ooh and ahh over what you make. Shovel it in their mouths and run back to their combine, truck, tractor or whatever their wheels happen to be. Then I climb in with one of them, usually the little bro in the combine and tag along. We have some good talks in that combine. We solve all our problems, tease each other and just hang out while watching the deer wander by. True bonding time. Miss K even got in on this year's combine ride!

I love the farm. End of story.

This little treat I whipped up is super easy and the guys loved it as a dessert for their meal out in the field.



Caramel Apple Cobbler
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients
1 box yellow cake mix
2 cans apple pie filling
1 c. butter, melted
1/4 c. caramel ice cream topping

1. Pour filling into bottom of greased 8x11 casserole pan. Top with caramel ice cream topping. Pour dry cake mix over filling.

2. Pour butter on top of cake mix.

3. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.



Recipe adapted from: A Cowboy's Wife


This recipe may be shared on the following sites - Please give them a visit!


Labels:

5 Comments:

At October 24, 2012 at 7:12 AM , Blogger Plain Chicken said...

Sounds really good and really easy! Bookmarking this to try later.

 
At October 26, 2012 at 12:04 AM , Blogger Veronica Miller said...

I'm not a farm girl but for some reason I really love farmers/farm girls...maybe b/c my grandparents had a farm and I had so much fun every summer when we got to stay a month with them. It's the simple & good life, at least in my book. And your caramel appler cobbler sounds SO good!

 
At October 27, 2012 at 7:10 PM , Blogger The Better Baker said...

Oh Julie - I'm bummed...I don't see a linkback to Weekend Potluck? I LOVE this recipe! I was raised a farm girl too and loved reading your perspectives about farming.

 
At November 2, 2012 at 6:38 AM , Blogger The Better Baker said...

Hurrah for you! (Sure glad you linked back!=) This recipe is being featured as my personal favorite at Weekend Potluck today. Please come on over and snag your featured button. Am thinkin' I will make this today! Thanks -

 
At November 2, 2012 at 6:53 AM , Blogger Julie said...

Thanks so much! I've already got my button... Enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home