Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Strawberry Vanilla Poke Cake

I've been thinking I should make this recipe for awhile but I've never got around to it. It's a frequent visitor at meals when I go to other people's houses. So I made a phone call to my hubby's stepmom one Sunday morning and requested the recipe.

I needed something simple and fast to make for a dessert and this fit the bill.My mom had hemmed a pair of jeans for the hubby and decided that for her "pay" she wanted to come over for Creamy Chicken Enchiladas. This is the one recipe she refuses to make saying that it's my "treat" recipe when she's craving it. My little bro also loves these, so I made sure to invite him over to or I wouldn't hear the end of it!  Plus I had all the ingredients on hand which is an extra WOOHOO in my life. I try to avoid the grocery store as much as possible because I can never walk out of there with just what I went for even if it was a box of cake mix!

Now I couldn't just leave the cake as is could I? I jazzed it up with a layer of vanilla pudding between the cake and the cool whip layer. It was terrific. If you don't have vanilla pudding mix you surely can get by without it, but it was fun to dress it up a bit. I used all sugar free mixes but you can use the regular ones too. I knew it was a hit when Mom said, "You will blog this one right?!"



Strawberry Vanilla Poke Cake
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients
1 box white cake mix (prepare with ingredients on box)
1 box (.3 oz) strawberry jello mix sugar-free
1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix sugar free
1 container (8 oz) cool whip
1 1/2 c. water
2 c. milk

1. Prepare your cake as it calls for on the box. When the cake is done baking poke holes in the cake with a fork. Place in the fridge to chill for 3-4 hours.

2. Prepare jello with 1 c. boiling water and 1/2 c. cold water. Mix together until jello mix is dissolved. Pour over the cake. This will seem like a lot of liquid but the cake will absorb it and it won't become mush. Trust me!

3. Place the cake in the fridge while you prepare the vanilla pudding mixture. Mix the vanilla pudding with 2 c. milk. Let it sit until it gets set. Smooth over the top of your cake. Top with the cool whip.

Shared on the following sites - Please give them a visit!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At January 18, 2012 at 9:27 AM , Blogger Danielle said...

Yum! I'm going to have to try this one out. I make it, but have never put the pudding layer on there. But that sounds great :)

 
At April 5, 2012 at 5:44 PM , Blogger Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

This looks divine! I've never heard of adding pudding and can't wait to try that. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home